Wednesday, February 20, 2008

20 February 2008: Bony Fingers!

I have just returned from the Madrona Fiber Arts Festival in Tacoma, WA. It was four days of intensive learning (it's good to be a participant/learner rather than organizer/teacher). I took classes from Nancy Bush and Judith McKenzie McCuin, Pat Brunner and Sue Ewens (shameless name dropper) and learned how to spin bison down, make gloves (with/without fingers) with a thumb gusset (very clever fitting technique); I took a class on the (for me) dreaded short rows and learned three ways to turn my work in the middle of a row... one method I really, really like; and finally, I took a class on knitting intarsia in the round. Those of you who are knitters will appreciate the puzzle of knitting intarsia in the round and how to get the colours joined and working in the right direction without any noticeable seam on the right side of the work. Ahhh... I feel so smart now!

Of course, I've been doing nothing but knitting and spinning for the last five days and my right hand is complaining. My index finger and my thumb are actually stiff. I will have to slow down now because I'm back to work and even though I'm a "yarn retailer" I don't get to knit all day long (common misconception). I must now get back to the business of stocking the shelves, teaching classes, working on schedules and the website, pricing, sweeping the floor, etc. It's not so bad... I've been eyeing up some new product that just arrived. Life is still good!

No comments: